Thursday, October 16, 2008

What Do You Do With Your Wait?


Well, folks, we've been on the waiting list for seven weeks so far, and it really has flown by! To be honest, I sometimes forget how long we've been on the waiting list. This current easygoing attitude is really not in my nature, so I can only assume that lots of people are praying for me! I really haven't worried about anything so far—I've seen enough to know that one should have no expectations when it comes to international adoption. Check back with me on November 20th, however, when we enter the 3 to 6 month "window," which is the average waiting time to be referred a child.

In the meantime, my biggest concern has become, "What on earth are we going to name our son?" I'm tired of calling our son, "our son," "our kid," "our baby," etc. Chris and I have been talking about it this week, and I think we have a few contenders. We currently have about five or so in the running, and when we can narrow it down a little more, I'll post them.

I'm also trying to come up with a list of fun things to do while we wait to become parents. Some things we are/I am going to do are:
1. Have a last "family" portrait taken with our dog, Topher.
2. Shop for baby furniture.
3. (Dawn) Take up some kind of craft. (I am in love with paper of any kind, so I'd like to make notecards and stationery.)
4. Lift some weights. (Have you carried a 20-something-pound child for an extended period of time recently? YIKES!)
5. Sleep in/take naps. (I'm guessing this will soon become a thing of the past.)
6. Eat complete meals while they are still warm. (See note on number 5.)

Any other ideas for new/adoptive parents?

7 comments:

David Sturgess said...

Chris and Dawn,

Your 5 are probably the best. I would add traveling if y'all are able to. It is not that you can't travel, but it does make it a little bit more complicated with a little one. I remember a 3 hour trip to our farm would take 4 to 5. Now that Emma is 1 1/2 it has worked itself back towards the 3.

Be sure you schedule time for the two of you. That baby boy needs to see his parents making time to love each other! Keep loving Jesus and take lots of pictures for everything! Post them too!

Anonymous said...

That's what I was gonna say - make sure you go on lots of dates! :)

Anonymous said...

Practice taking fast showers - like 5 minutes or less, and eating fast, too. Seems like as soon as everyone is at the table and ready to say grace, that's when Gretchen knows to start fussing. It's some kind of built-in dinner detector or something.

Glad it's going by fast for you! I hope to hear some good news in the next few weeks.

Jenny said...

Seems like everything is pretty much been covered!!
Do everything above! Enjoy eating, sleeping, and showering at a very slow pace while you can!! Maybe go see a movie in theaters, can't remember the last time I did that!

-Jennylee

Kelly said...

We are moving Bman to a big bed next month, so the crib is yours, when you are ready!
Dates, go shopping by yourself, get ready for church and be places on time, or you can practice adding time to get another one fed and ready!
Enjoy this time! Your life will never be the same in a few months!

Faith said...

Enjoy long showers.

Kim said...

I started lifebooks for the boys while I waited. :) I scrapbooked them for the extra "fun." There are some really great adoption related scrapbooking websites.

Kim