Eating and sleeping: Myles was a great sleeper while we were in Ethiopia but he wasn't very interested in eating. When we first got home he was starving all the time and never wanted to sleep. We also discovered Myles was probably held quite a bit, which is a great problem to have but made bedtime challenging. We all finally adjusted to the time change and we're on a good schedule. And we don't have to rock Myles to sleep anymore. We can lay him down drowsy and he'll go to sleep. We're at the beach right now and he's sleeping like a champ. We've also started cereals and have some squash to try out this week. We've tried a little juice also but so far he's not a taker.
Bonding: Myles is such a sweet, easygoing, and funny baby that it's easy to love him. But the bonding really was not instantaneous for me. It's a process, and jet lag and the flu didn't help. But it gets better all the time. I'm not sure yet that Myles knows we're his parents. He will go to anyone without fuss, so it's hard to tell.
Development: We've been to the pediatrician and the Vanderbilt International Clinic for Myles to be checked out. He's in the 17th percentile for weight, the 19th for height, and his head circumference is something like the 71st percentile! We haven't gotten back all of his bloodwork yet, but so far so good. Myles isn't too far behind developmentally, with the exception of his torso strength. When we first got home he wouldn't bear any weight on his legs, but he does now. In fact, Myles had an ultrasound on his soft spot to be sure there wasn't excess fluid on the brain that was hindering his development (there wasn't). He continues to make progress and does amazingly well with tummy time. I don't think it will be too much longer until he's able to sit. He's also very vocal (it's so hilarious to hear him roll his R's) and says new sounds all the time. He loves to "sing" in the car.
More about Myles: When we were in Ethiopia Myles wouldn't take a paci, but we've found one he loves. Give this kid a paci and a blankie and he's out! He loves blankies, really fabric and anything with texture. He's fascinated with his hands and feet. He actively tries to make us laugh. His first trick when we got home was scrunching his nose and sniffing in and out for laughs. His newest trick is fake coughing, which he learned from our nephew Eli last weekend. We got him a Baby Einstein stationary jumper to help with his leg strength (that and tummy time has really helped), and he loves it. He also loves music. He does this funny little wiggle and nods his head when music comes on.
The dog: Myles seems to like Topher, or at least doesn't mind him. Topher has been really sweet with Myles, which is a miracle. I've had to pry fistfuls of Topher's hair out of Myles' hands and Topher has been so gentle.
We're on vacation right now, so I don't have my laptop with pics from our trip. But I do plan to post about our trip soon. I don't have tons of pictures anyway because our camera broke on our first day in Ethiopia. A few families have sent us some great pics, which we really appreciate!!!
For now, here are a few shots I have from Chris' computer:

3 comments:
He is so cute!!! I can't believe he has already been home a month! That's crazy! I'm glad he is doing well and that you are all doing better. I can NOT wait to meet the little guy. Have a fun vacation!
He really is a cutie!!! Reminds me of my Lulu. I love the stinky face. The caregivers teach it and they really get the kids excited with it.
Welcome Home
Robbin
Cute cute! I am glad for the update and glad y'all are doing well. :)
The beach?! Which beach?! Lucky...but is it cold there...?
Post a Comment