I woke up to read some disturbing news on Facebook about Leul's orphanage, so I immediately called our adoption caseworker to find out what was going on. Without going into specifics, there was an incident at the orphanage. Some boys were hurt, the police got involved, and in the confusion at the scene, it's my understanding that many boys older than 9 were arrested.
It was difficult to try to piece together what happened, but thankfully we have several friends in-country who could fill in the gaps.
Leul wasn't involved and wasn't hurt. However, it became too dangerous for him to stay there, so our adoption agency was able to use our adoption decree to remove him and take him to their foster care center.
We are so thankful that Gladney acted so quickly and got him to a safe place. We also feel incredibly blessed that we passed court when we did so he was able to be taken out of this tough situation.
Please pray for the orphanage boys. We've spent quite a bit of time at this orphanage — we were just there two weeks ago — and the boys we've come into contact with are sweet, smart young men. They are really hurting right now.
Please also pray for Leul as he makes this unexpected transition. In another week and a half, we will take placement before our embassy date.
It's been a really tough decision for us, but just Chris will be returning for our embassy date. Myles had amazing care while we were gone, but he didn't react well to us being gone for so long. And though we would love to take him with us, he's a little too young, the flights are too long, and the turnaround is too quick. I am beyond bummed, and I'm really sad we won't get to see our travel friends again. But it's the best decision for us right now. Chris and I have another trip planned for Ethiopia next fall, so I at least have that to look forward to! More on that later.

3 comments:
Hey Dawn
So glad to hear L is ok!!!! Could you tell me any more detail through email about what happened at Kolfe? And were any of the boys hurt? Carl and I fell in love with the boys there when we visited. I completely understand why only Chris can travel... It's a tough decision as a Mama:). But you'll soon have all your boys at home together!
Brenda
brendaknott@hotmail.com
Glad to hear Leul is safe.
Prayers going up for you and for him.
Post a Comment