Monday, March 30, 2009

Eight(?) Is Enough

I believe it’s now month eight, day two of officially being on the waitlist for our referral. We were put on the wait list on August 28, so we’ve been waiting all of September, October, November, December, January, February, and March. So, we’ve waited a full seven months and are now starting our eighth. (Other adoptive families, does this sound right?) And don’t even get me started on how many weeks it’s been — I definitely didn’t mark my calendar this far!

Chris and I have been dealing with the longer-than-expected wait in our own ways. My husband, who is usually gregarious and emotive, has been keeping his feelings to himself. I, the more quiet and private one, can’t seem to shut up about my feelings. It’s definitely been a change for us.

Friday afternoons through the weekends are tough for me. I know that it’s been another week without a referral, and I know it will be a few days before the possibility of a referral comes again. It’s a huge roller coaster of emotions. So Chris treated me to a pedicure on Saturday (a REAL pedicure, if you’ve heard that story, ha ha). It was very sweet and thoughtful.

(Side note: I think I may have broken a toe, at least bruised it up pretty badly. I tripped over the ledge leading out to our garage on Saturday morning, but didn’t think anything of it other than “Ouch!” When I was getting my pedicure, I noticed that it was EXTREMELY painful when the woman touched one specific toe. It looks a little better this morning than it did yesterday, so maybe I just banged it up. I tried taping it, but that just hurts worse.)

Being so high up on the list these days makes me want to blog more frequently, but I seriously have nothing new to say. So, here are eight random, unrelated thoughts so I have something to post.

1. I love hot tea sweetened and with milk. I bought a box of Tazo assorted black and green teas at the grocery store this weekend. I’m trying not to drink much carbonation or caffeine. So I had the Awake tea this morning. I also love the Chai.
2. Our dog, Topher, is a conehead right now. He had a dental prophy last Monday, and they had to shave his right paw to put his IV in. Well, he licked it raw, so he’s now wearing an E-collar and hating every minute of it. Early Saturday morning I woke up to Chris scratching Topher because Topher couldn’t do it himself. It was very cute.
3. I’m really thankful for my blog friends (the people I blog stalk) Emily and Ellen. They are above me on the list and reading their latest post or comments they leave here helps keep me sane on tough days.
4. I wonder how my injured toe will do at kickboxing tonight?
5. I’m excited because I think my family is going to be able to come over for Easter dinner. Now that all of my sisters are married, it’s difficult to figure out the holidays with everyone’s extended families. But I think it’s going to happen!
6. Back in January or so I pledged to lose weight for the Biggest Loser Million Pound Match-Up. If you haven’t heard of it, they’re donating a pound of food to a needy family for every pound you lose. After a brief McDonald’s filled reprieve, I’m back at it and halfway to my pledge.
7. I want to go here.
8. I’m hoping to make a trip back to Atlanta once we receive our referral. I think I’m going to take the plunge and get this bedding. It matches anything and we can use our touches of “Big Orange” without it clashing too badly.

If you’ve read this far, please keep Chris and me in your prayers. Referral, come quickly!!!

9 comments:

Nancy Cornwell said...

We are praying for you and for Baby Hollomon!

P.S. I love the bedding! How cute! and poor topher.....

Elisabeth said...

Dawn, I think this will be the longest comment I have ever left on anyone's blog - because #1 I feel your pain and #2 this is one of the most visual posts I have read and it has this huge grin on my face that i can't remove.

I know this is a grueling wait - I actually have the opposite problem you have - weekends are soooo relaxing to me because I know there is nothing to be on guard for but your thought process makes more sense.

How is topher's name pronounced? like toffer or tofer? Poor baby!!

I like tea, too. I think I need to start indulging in tea more often...sounds yummy!

I am sorry about your toe - and there I go smiling again...could you forego the kickboxing tonight? I cannot imagine anything more unpleasant than a pedicure on a broken toe with the massaging, etc.

I hope I get a call soon and you move further up the list - lol - how sweet is that of me? teasing!

awesome on the weightloss or waitloss - better than my wait gain!

Easter sounds awesome- I love family gatherings!

Hopefully the phone will ring soon and thank you for such an AWESOME post!!

ellen

Elisabeth said...

Sorry for my really dorky post - I am telling you, I am really really punchy lately. Have a great day!

Kelly said...

Love the cute bedding!

Praying for you guys. I want that little man home, sooon!

Megan said...

Awww... I love the bedding too! That's a good idea to get something with orange in it ~ I think it'll look great!

I'm not sure if there are giraffes and elephants in Ethiopia, but I was thinking of doing our guest bedroom/bath in an African theme...

I am sorry about your toe! OUCH! I'm glad you were treated to a pedicure, but yeeeaah... that must've hurt! Kickboxing?? No, no, no... Did you end up going??

To your last post, I had already read it but forgot to post I think ~ That's really cool that Chris got to see where we lived, and I hope we can all go together someday with all of our hubbies! That would be fun!

I would say "poor Tophie..." but I think it's downright hilarious, too... (sorries...) Reminds me of George when he got his plastic leg.

Hmm... the "word verification" for my comment on here is "humus..."

Emily said...

Thanks for the post! Even though I know it feels like a stretch to post when you really have nothing to say, I love have something to do...so thanks for occupying a few minutes of my otherwise boring afternoon!

I feel your pain on the weekends. I actually keep checking my email and blogs just in case someone was delayed in sharing a referral!

And, the bedding looks really cute. I LOVE Ikea and have decided we will make a trip to the one in Chicago once we receive our referral.

I was kind of hoping to have a referral to show everyone at Easter, but I'm beginning to think that won't happen. Oh well!! I guess we'll just have to hope for Mother's Day?

Hope we hear some referral news SOON!!!

Jenny said...

I love the bedding too! And so sorry about your toe, ouch!! Hope it feels better soon!

And Easter is going to be fun, I think it's going to work out too!

Well, I hope you hear something soon! I know it must be so hard! But every day is another day closer, right?? Hang in there!!
We can't wait to meet him too!

Emily said...

Ellen got her referral!!!!!!!!! Praise be to God! We are getting so close!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're of course still in our prayers for God's perfect timing and we will be thinking about you all enjoying Easter together - wishing we could *all* be together for more holidays. Now that we are all married, and are having kids, it's tough being so far away from "the action" and feeling like we miss so much. If I still had a blog, I'd probably do a post right now about how isolated I feel, but some things are for the better. :)