Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rx for Adoption Brain

What is adoption brain?
Adoption brain is a condition in which one’s mental capacity is greatly decreased due to anticipation of an impending adoption.

What causes adoption brain?
Although onset varies from case to case, generally adoption brain sets in when a wait time has doubled from what was initially expected and is compounded when one nears the top of the wait list.

What are the symptoms of adoption brain?
The most pervasive symptom is the inability to concentrate on even the simplest of intellectual tasks, such as performing many functions of one’s job. Other symptoms manifest in various ways, ranging from insomnia to excessive sleeping, loss of appetite to ravenous appetite, fits of cleaning and slothfulness, incessant blog and FBI list stalking, and co-dependence upon other adoptive families.

How is it diagnosed?
A simple test is all that’s needed to diagnose this condition. Answer the following questions:
1. Who recently received a referral for an 8-month-old boy?
2. What is your number on the list?
3. What does FBI stand for?
If you can answer any of the above questions, you likely have adoption brain.

How is it treated?
Some studies have shown that receiving a referral helps alleviate the symptoms in some cases, while others who have received a referral report an increase in symptoms. The only known cure is a dose of reality upon placement.



Is anyone out there authorized to write me a prescription for my case of adoption brain? And is it catching? :)

10 comments:

Ryane said...

I think we've got it here too.. must be spreading ;)

Ryane

Ryane said...

Forgot to leave my answers to the questions! See, I am losing my mind!

1. ELLEN!!

2. #4 for Boy/Either (behind Emily, you guys and Kat)

3. Forensic Blogging Initiative

:)

Lisa and Peter said...

Hilarious post! . . . and, yes, I would say that its definitely spreading!

Emily said...

I love it! And, as you are well aware...I've definitely been infected. Oh, don't forget to add that this problem is seen mainly in females - males may have a genetic immunity to the disease:)

Kat & Stacy said...

I"m not sure if this is a Symptom or a Treatment...but I've suddenly started shopping A LOT for the Little Ethiopian. I refrained for a long time because I didn't want to jinx it and since we don't know what age or gender we'll be matched with, it seemed silly to buy things.

Apparently I've changed my mind on that...last night I bought the cutest little chair. I went to a sewing class and came home with a chair.

Symptom or treatment?

:-)

Chris and Dawn said...

Emily, that's a good point!

Kat, that's definitely a Symptom! It's why our son has 15+ security blankets right now. :) If it's orange or if it has a dog on it, I'm a goner!

Elisabeth said...

I love this post - Dawn, you are so in my thoughts and prayers almost daily - I check every night.

Went to the carter's outlet today and it was awash in orange (later I found out it was not one of my hubby's fave colors but i grew accustomed to it as one of my college colors) - I am praying soon and very soon for a referral chick!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Dawn, this is a funny post! Of course, I have adoption brain too! Hoping for a few referrals this week!

Unknown said...

So know what you are talkin' about. The week before we got our referral I put a dry packet of oatmeal in the microwave and almost burned our house down! And it TOTALLY does not affect the male species. My husband doesn't even know what the FBI list is. Well,OK he does, but only because I talk about it all the time. One thing that has surprised me about this condition is that it appears to only get worse after the referral...

The Mathews Family said...

love the post...we are still paperchasing and waiting for our homestudy. Hope to be on waitlist soon.....we added your link to our blogroll...all the best to you!